The weekend of 26th-28th of July is YALC weekend! This is my second time attending YALC and I am beyond excited to attend again! There are so many incredible authors attending this event this year and a lot of panels that I cannot wait to sit and listen to. I cannot wait to go this year as I will be staying with 4 of my best bookish friends, Sarah, Sophie, Charlotte and Fiona!
When I attended YALC last year I was very under-prepared. I don’t plan on this happening again this year, so I want to be prepared but also potentially help others who don’t know what to bring to the event. So, here is what I will be taking to YALC!
This to me is potentially the most important thing to bring to any event. Not only will I be carrying a lot around throughout the weekend but I may be picking things up throughout the event and I will need somewhere to put the things I pick up. My backpack is quite big and fits everything I need inside of it with ease.
If you are going to any event like this taking a backpack is one of the best things you can do. If you are carrying a lot of books around or items in general, bags get heavy. If you have a backpack the weight is evenly distributed across your back and it really helps me with back pain and keeping myself happy throughout the day.
I am hoping that I can fit all the books I am going to be taking into this backpack and when I tested it at NYA Lit Fest it did an excellent job!
I cannot go to a book event without taking books. I will be taking books to this event to get signed but I am also going to be taking a book that I will be reading on my journey to and from the event. There is going to be signings throughout the weekend at YALC with the authors attending and if you are wondering who is attending and when they will be signing books, check out the event programme. I have gone through the programme with a fine toothpick so that I don’t forget to bring any books because I did that when I went to YALC last year and I was distraught. I am prepared for YALC this year though and these are the books I am going to be bringing to get signed:
- Heartstopper Volume 1 by Alice Oseman
- Heartstopper Volume 2 by Alice Oseman
- Meat Market by Juno Dawson
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
- Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus
- The Starlight Watchmaker by Lauren James
- The Truth About Keeping Secrets by Savannah Brown
- All the Things We Never Said by Yasmin Rahman
- Alex in Wonderland by Simon James Greeen
- Proud by Various Authors
- The Sharp Edge of a Snowflake by Sif Sigmarsdóttir
- Rose, Interrupted by Patrice Lawrence
This is exactly the reason I will be taking a backpack! I will be taking a total of 12 books and potentially buying more at the event so I want to keep my back and me happy throughout the day! I am really pleased with the fact I am only taking 12 books this year. I don’t think I’ll be coming home with just 12 though!
Notebook and Pen
Now this is something I think not many people do at events. I am not a fan of writing notes down on my phone and would much rather have it all in a notebook. I like taking notes at panels because I love writing event recap posts.
I am planning on doing a recap post for YALC and want to keep notes throughout the weekend and at panels. So, I am going to take a notebook and pen so I can take notes but I also have my phone just in case I want to take a note quickly and my notebook isn’t in my hand!
There will be stalls, publishers and opportunities to buy things throughout the weekend. I am going to be taking money so that I can take up the book deal opportunities that are at the event. I will also be looking at the other stalls at YALC and potentially purchasing things from there. I am hoping to not spend too much money at YALC and will be budgeting my weekend to stop me from doing that!
There are a few other things that I will be taking that I’m sure not everyone will want to take but I feel like these items are things that will make sure the weekend runs smoothly for me!
- Tote Bags – Just in case my backpack does end up being full, I am going to take spare tote bags so that I have an easy alternative to carry things.
- Ticket – These are important! I have my YALC tickets in the eventbrite app on my phone but as a backup I will be printing out copies of my ticket just in case. I know you get a wristband if you are attending all weekend so this will be kept on my wrist at all times.
- Comfy Shoes – At these events you walk around a lot and my feet tend to hurt after a lot of walking. I am going to be wearing comfy shoes to help my little feet with all the walking!
- Power Bank – I will be using my phone a lot throughout the weekend to Tweet, take pictures and message people. So, I want to have a power bank with me so that if my phone does run out of charge I have the ability to recharge it wherever I am.
- Water – I am going to be taking a reusable water bottle with me so that I keep hydrated throughout the weekend I can refill it if it is empty and make sure I am drinking enough throughout the weekend.
- Snacks – Although there is food available inside the convention centre it is very expensive. So my plan is to leave the building to go to the nearby Tesco’s for my dinner during the day. But just in case I get hungry I am going to be taking a couple of snacks to keep my energy level up.
I think that is all that I will be taking to YALC but I am sure I have forgotten a few things. I hope this helps you pack your bags for this wonderful event or book events in the future! What do you take to book events and have a forgotten anything from this list? Let me know in the comments!